Saturday 4th November 2017 : "Mallorca - Sun, Sand, Sea and ... Wine!" with Janis & Bill in Worthing.
Another full house for SWAS members to enjoy Janis & Bill's evening. An unusual theme this time, wines from the Balearics, in particular from the vineyards of Mallorca...
[Each wine was scored out of 10 and Bill collated the ratings to give each wine a 'total score' as shown.]
The Whites: (all prices marked * include shipping/carriage costs)
1. Acrollam Blanc, Mesquida Mora, 2014; Porreres Mallorca; 75% Prensal (Moll), 25% Giro; 13.5% abv; total score 113; price* £14.20
The delicate, aromatic nose is dominated by the citrus family; lemon, grapefruit and lime, with tropical hints, white flower and a mineral note from the Prensal Blanc. The palate is fresh, saline and mineral with good acidity and lots of tangy lemon zing.
2. Sa Fita, Es Fanger, 2016; Felanitx Mallorca; A blend of Chardonnay, Prensal and Muscat; 14.5% abv; total score 111; price £19.70*
Color: Straw yellow with bright golden highlights. Aroma: Developed especially fresh and floral with tropical fruit and honey flavor. Elegant, medium intensity and high complexity, which is achieved by meticulous work on the lees. taste: In the mouth it is a wine that recalls the taste of pickled peaches with subtle caramel and special freshness. Entry average network, which is maintained until the end.
3. Ambari, Tomeu Isern 2014; Estellencs Mallorca; 100% Malvasia; 13% abv; total score 98; price £14.95*
The colour of amber inspires the names of the wines of the small family-Bodega Tomeu Isern. Preferential bunch of grapes is the Malvasia which grows in the patio-like, small vineyards all around the place Estellencs. Pale and amber passed through with greenish reflexes Ambarí, the dry white wine, Vi de la Terra Tramuntana Costa the north, in the glass gleams. Scents of white blossoms like jasmine and orange with a mark of peach, apricot and apple determine the aroma. In the palate long persistently and well-balancedly with a strong departure the wine fits very well to fish and seafood, chicken or curry courts. A white wine with personality.2014.
The Reds: (all prices marked * include shipping/carriage costs)
4. Pere Seda Reserva, Pere Seda 2011; Manacor, Mallorca; blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Callet; 14.5% abv; total score 107; price £14.70*;
Pere Seda began devoting his life to his vineyards over a century ago, creating a dream that gave rise to the wineries named after him today.
Since those beginnings to the present day, the effort and perseverance of this enterprising winery have made it possible to keep bringing in the most advanced production and ageing control systems based on a family philosophy that imbues all of its wines with a unique personality. The world of wine is this family company’s passion, a craftsman’s pleasure, combining the skill of knowing the destiny of each wine with a modern, creative concept. This is the result of taking the greatest advantage of all of the qualities hidden within each grape grown in chalky soil with a rich subsoil and a typically Mediterranean climate.
Our staff are trained in the tradition that has made Pere Seda a guarantee of quality and the largest winery in the Pla i Llevant – Mallorca designation of origin. It has a great reputation, backed by winning various Spanish and international prizes, which have confirmed Pere Seda as an outstanding benchmark representing the Balearic wine industry.
Pere Seda now produces and markets young white, rosé, red and Crianza wines, as well as signature wines produced to an impeccable modern design.
5. L'Origen, Ca'n Verdura 2013; Binassalem, Mallorca; 100% Mantonegro; 13.5% abv; total score 105; price £17.50*
6. Son Bordils, Finca Son Bordils 2006; Inca, Mallorca; 99.2% Cabernet Sauvignon, 0.8% Callet; 14.5% abv; total score 104.5; price £17.90*
7. Sio, Bodega Pedro Ribas 2014; Consell, Mallorca; 55% Mantonegro, 15% Syrah, 15% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot; 14% abv; total score 121; price £18.90*
This wine, made mostly with grapes from our old Mantonegro vines, was conceived in the year 2000 as a tribute to our grandmother Sió. Elegant, fruity and deep wine with a mineral base from the calcareous soils of our vineyard.
The grapes are harvested by hand before being strictly selected, one by one, at the triage table, from our oldest vines of the native Mantonegro, a variety with amazing aromatic potential that adds fruit and warmth. Complemented with 25-year-old vines of more structured varieties as Syrah, Cabernet and Merlot.
8. Son Prim, Jaume Llibres 2014; Sencelles/Inca, Mallorca; 100% Merlot; 15% abv; total score 112.5; price £19.95*
An impressive Merlot with lots of varietal character, and scents of violets, black olives and orange zest. Full-bodied with lots of sweet and creamy fruit extract, built around a solid backbone of tannins. Long-lasting fruit and a fine finishing touch of smoke. A big, classic Merlot with plenty of ageing potential.
9. Son Prim, Jaume Llibres 2014; Sencelles/Inca, Mallorca; 100% Cabernet Sauvignon; 15% abv; total score 103.5; price £ 19.95*
An intense and expressive Cabernet with a bright ruby colour and a beautiful bouquet of red berries, red pepper and olives. It is full-bodied with lovely sweet fruit, balanced with a perfect and fresh acidity and soft tannins. The finish has a nice touch of roasted oak.
10. Sa Rota Reserva, Bodegas Bordoy 2011; Llucmayor, Mallorca; 37.5% Syrah, 37.5% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot; 15% abv; total score 140; price £23.50*
Awarded 'Gold' at the 2016 Concours Mondial de Bruxelles Wine Competition
For supper Janis served 'Pig in a Pot' with Mash, Carrots and Salad. The vegetarian option was Spanish-style fish. Followed by a Cheese Board and Bill's Rhubarb Tart and Créme Caramels.
Bill served Casillero de Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon 2015 and Vega Sauco Tinto de Toro Tempranillo 2010 as 'Supper Wines'.
"Bill's magnificent Rhubarb Tart...!"
1. Torres Vina Sol, Penedes - won by Sally & Peter
2. Rieno De La Vina Rioja Reserva - won by Adrienne & John