2014 March: Adrienne & James's Tasting in Brighton
1. Sachetto (NV) Prosecco: Veneto, 11.5%
Tasting Notes: "Refreshing, fruity style with fresh, herbaceous flavours. A light bodied and fairly substantial Prosecco: vibrant, fresh and citrusy".
2. Pedres (2012) Vermentino di Gallura: Sardinia, 13.5%
Tasting Notes: "A yellow straw colour with greenish reflections. A persistent, intense nose typical of Northern Sardinia. This leads to a dry-yet-fruity medium body of tangy apple, nectarine, sweet herb and mineral flavours: great acidity and tart fruit".
3. Paolo Masi Riserva (2009) Sangiovese (95%)/Colorino (5%): Chianti, 13.5%
Tasting Notes: "Bright cherry aromas with notes of cinnamon, cloves and black pepper. Full-bodied, rich in plum, redcurrant and lush cherry fruit".
4. Duca di Saragnano Vecciano (2008) Sangiovese/Cabernet Sauvignon: Tuscany, 13.0%
Tasting Notes: "Soft-textured tannins, cassis and bramble fruit. Notes of spice and leather".
5. Duca di Cardino (2008) Sangiovese/Canaiolo/Colorino/Ciliegiolo: Vino Nobilo de Montepulciano 13.0%
Tasting Notes: "Classic aromas of black cherry, tobacco and leather. On the palate prunes,roast coffee and dark chocolate".
6. Tenuta Lamiata (2008) Sangiovese, Brunello di Montalcino, 14.0%
Tasting Notes: "Complex, dark plum and cherry character. With coffee, tobacco and vanilla notes".
7. Fondatore Domizio (2010) Nebbiolo, Barbaresco, 14.0%
Tasting Notes: "Nebbiolo is a late ripener; the wines are robust when young. This lovely classic red is vigorous, silky and memorable, bursting with scents of tar, violets, roses, prunes and bitter chocolate".
8. Sordo (2009) Nebbiolo, Barolo, 14%
Tasting Notes: "The wine is intense with complexity and length. Its nose has sage and sweet spices with a subtle addition of sweet vanilla".
9. La Tirela (2009) Corvina/Rondinella/Molinara, Amarone della Valpolicella, 15.0%
Tasting Notes: "Slowly fermented, the partially dried grapes give rise to complex, spiced berry aromas and ripe cherry, plum and raspberry flavours".
1. Villa Broglia (2011) Cortese, Gavi, 13.0%
Tasting Notes: "Apple, peach and honeydew flavours. Aroma of lime, almond and light herbs".
2. Pietro di Sarti (2010) Nebbiolo, Nebbiolo d'Alba, 13.5%
Tasting Notes: "Nose of violets and raspberries. Fruity and mild tannins".
Adrienne & James (with a little help from Claire) had prepared an excellent Italian themed supper. A first course of Lasagne (with a veggie option) and green salad; next a selection of cheeses: Pecorino, Gorganzola Piccante and Gorgonzola Dolce followed by desserts: Dried fruit, nougat & pineapple and a magnificent Pavlova (produced by Claire!)