2014 December: AGM & Xmas Quiz at Terri & Alan's in Worthing
After Secretary Jill's report on the state of the finances (generally good) and the usual routine business regarding the thriving state of the Society (also generally good!) the evening was turned over to Rob (the current holder of the prestigious 'Daphne Hunt Memorial Trophy') to present the Annual Xmas Quiz and the evening's Wine Tasting. Minutes of the AGM will be emailed to everyone in the New Year.
Terri & Alan again very generously provided the venue (for the second year running!) and Terri's chicken supper was much enjoyed by all.
Peter demonstrated his outstanding wine knowledge during the evening and won the Quiz hand over fist. He was duly presented with the winner's trophy and, for his sins, is now tasked with running the Quiz in December 2015...!
Tasting Notes for the AGM Wine Quiz 6 Dec 2014
All the wines presented by Rob (to accompany his fiendishly difficult but most enjoyable Quiz!) were supplied by Berkmann Wine Cellars and Rob particularly thanked Drakes Hotel of Brighton for assistance in their choice.
1. Hungary: Sauska Dry Furmint (2013), 13% 100% Furmint grape £8.44 per bottle (wholesale), £7.59 paid after 10% reduction before VAT)
Tasting Notes: "A captivating expression of Hungary's most famous white grape variety, this Furmint offers intense aromas of peach, blood orange and herbs. The palate is dry with a satisfying fullness in the middle leading to a crisp grapefruity finish".
2. Slovenia: Querqus Pinot Grigio (2013), 13.5% 100% Pinot Grigio £7.55 per bottle (wholesale), (£7.08 paid after 10% reduction before VAT)
Tasting Notes: "A concentrated Pinot Grigio with aromas of ripe pear, grapefruit and pineapple. Poised, medium-bodied palate with a silky. refreshing finish".
3. South Africa: Cloof Pinotage (2010), ? % 100% Pinotage £9.31 per bottle (wholesale), (£8.38 paid after 10% reduction before VAT)
Tasting Notes: "The bold, concentrated flavours of this wine are directly attributable to the tiny yield of mature bush vines growing under extreme conditions. Richly textured with notes of smoke, blackberry, plum with some spiciness and elegant oaky notes".
4. Sicily: Regalealli Rosso (2012), 13.5% 100% Nero d'Avola £9.25 per bottle (wholesale), (£8.33 paid after 10% reduction before VAT)
Tasting Notes: "Notes of Chery, Mulberry, Black Cherry,, Blueberry, Vanilla and Sage on the nose. Velvety and balanced in the mouth".
5. Spain: Monsant (2011) 14.5% 40% Carinyaena 40% Syrah 20% Garnaxta £12.97 per bottle (wholesale), (£11.68 paid after 10% reduction before VAT)
Tasting Notes: "Hundred year old vines give a wine of great intensity, with wild flavours of juniper, herbs and mustard set against a seam of savoury minerality".
6. USA: Château Ste Michelle, Columbia Valley Syrah (2011), ? % 100% Syrah £12.84 per bottle (wholesale), (£11.55 paid after 10% reduction before VAT)
Tasting Notes: "White pepper spice aromas lead to rich black cherry and blackcurrant jam flavours. This is a soft, lush style of Syrah with a lingering coffee/brambly finish".